Revision rhinoplasty is performed to correct both aesthetic and functional flaws caused by previous operations.
With revision rhinoplasty all unsuccessful operations can be corrected. It also plays an important role in treating complaints like nasal congestion. Many functional problems can be resolved with this procedure. Scarring and asymmetry of the nose are also corrected with revision rhinoplasty. To be eligible for a revision rhinoplasty 1 year must have passed from the date of your previous surgery. Following a revision rhinoplasty the patients achieve the look they always dreamt of.
General Information About Revision Rhinoplasty
Patients who have been unsatisfied with their previous operation functionally or aesthetically can resort to the revision rhinoplasty procedure. Even if the former operation has been successful, revision rhinoplasty may be needed due to problems with cartilage. Since the nasal structure consists of cartilage, the cartilage needs to be nourished which requires blood flow. In case blood flow cannot be sustained some problems arise. In this case the nose won’t be able to heal and will become much more problematic than before. Moreover infection and trauma may be observed right after the operation and an unharmonious look is caused due to cartilage-related problems.
No matter how major, revision rhinoplasty corrects all functional and aesthetic problems. It also plays a crucial role in the correction of issues like nasal collapse allowing for adjustments on the main skeleton of the nose, as deemed necessary. This procedure, however, points out to a rather lengthy recovery process with more complications. Cartilage inside the nose are utilised for revision rhinoplasty while the nose is being reshaped. As the nasal bones are being shaped with cartilage breathing function is also preserved. Revision rhinoplasty is performed under general anesthesia.
How Is Revision Rhinoplasty Performed?
Before the operation the patient is thoroughly examined by the doctor. The doctor then identifies problems with the patient’s nose and makes a decision accordingly. If the doctor decides for a revision rhinoplasty, cartilage is taken from the patient’s rib or ear since all nasal cartilage has been used up during the previous operation. Most doctors will take cartilage from the patient’s own body so as not to cause any allergic reactions.
The following can be stated about Revision rhinoplasty:
- It is performed under general anesthesia.
- The duration of the operation is directly proportional to the patient’s nasal structure. For instance too much nasal deformity will greatly extend the duration of the operation.
- As with other operations the patient is prepared for surgery. Use of medications like aspirin and antibiotics are ceased 2 weeks prior to the surgery. Likewise smoking and consumption of alcohol must be stopped 2 weeks before the operation.
- Following the operation the patient must protect his/her nose very carefully, especially against any impact and trauma.
- The slightest complaint must be shared with the doctor. If bleeding is more than normal the patient must inform the doctor in a timely manner.
- The doctor’s advice must fully be followed.
- Exercise and sports must be avoided until the nose heals completely.
- Bruising may be observed after the operation. Ice compress must be applied to reduce the bruising. It is very normal for bruising to be present for a week.
- During the operation, small gauze pads are placed in the nostrils. These pads regulate the discharge from the nose. The nurses will inform the patient on how the pads are changed.
- As you lie down, your pillow should be at the level of your chest. This will prevent bruising and swelling.